Subject: Re: ADB quirks
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/18/1998 19:08:37
Actually, in machdep.c there's a check for SERIALCONSOLE, and if it is
set, _all_ of the MRG code (including MRG_ADB support) gets bypassed.

My SLOTMAN kernels have this disabled, so you can still boot with
SERIALCONSOLE and get MRG stuff (ie, the Slot Manager) to work!

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> nigel@ind.tansu.com.au wrote:
> > > 3) The ROM based (MRG) ADB driver unconditionally disables the adb device
> > > if you boot with serial console -- no local X server. I can see situations
> > > where this comes in handy, but please make it an option (for the booter?).
> >

> > 	If I read Hauke correctly, he wants an environment variable passed
> > from the Booter which would disable the ADB devices.
> >

> > 	I can easily do that, but someone else will have to make the change
> > to the ADB driver (or it it earlier on in the kernel?) so that it looks for
> > a new environment variable (say DISABLE_ADB) instead of SERIALCONSOLE.
>
> That can easily be done.  I'm pretty sure the serial console thing is in
> the ADB driver.  I can check when I go home tonight, tho.
>
> Later.
>
> --
> Colin Wood                                 cwood@ichips.intel.com
> Component Design Engineer - MD6                 Intel Corporation
> I speak only on my own behalf, not for my employer.

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |