Subject: Re: CHAP authentication w/NetBSD
To: Bobby Cox <iteration@worldnet.att.net>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@law.roc.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/17/1998 11:03:37
Bobby Cox wrote:

> Well, I installed NetBSD for the first time on my Performa 550, and am
> enjoying the new experience.  I wanted to connect to the Internet through
> my ISP, AT&T WorldNet service.  I did a little bit research, tried some
> scripts on macbsd/netbsd's web pages, but to no avail.
>
> Then, I noticed these scripts said words like, "PAP", etc.  Hmm.  I
> checked WorldNet's help pages and saw they have a dialer for FreeBSD but
> none for NetBSD - and AT&T's login is CHAP (Challenge Authentication
> Protocol).  Anyone know how to do this on NetBSD?  I.E. Login and get PPP
> working.

Man pppd is your friend. among other things you will find:

At present, pppd supports  two  authentication  protocols:
   the  Password  Authentication Protocol (PAP) and the Chal-
   lenge  Handshake  Authentication  Protocol  (CHAP).

and lots of other good information.

brad

--
Brad Salai                      bsalai@tmonline.com