Subject: Re: X-Server for SE/30
To: Roger <roger@badger1.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/16/1998 09:12:05
Roger wrote:
> I've got a question concerning X-windows that I hope somebody might be able
> to help me with.
>
> I just re-installed MacBSD (from the 1.3 download) onto an SE/30.  I tried
> running "startx" but got an error.  I added the /etc/ld.so.conf file then
> restarted.
>
> It looked like X was starting, then something flashed on the screen, too
> quick to read, and then the message
>
> "X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)."
>
> I checked the FAQ and read the following, which seems to imply that I need
> a different server for the SE/30, but only for 1.2.1.  I would have thought
> that for 1.3 I wouldn't need this.  does anybody know?

What version of the FAQ are you reading?  The current version no longer
has any of the text you quoted.  If you'll check the most recent version,
it suggests that you do:

startx >& startx.log

To capture the output that flashes by you.  Please do this and let us know
what shows up in startx.log.

The 1.3 X server should work just fine on an SE/30, btw.

Later.