Subject: Ethernet Device (ae0) Times Out
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Cantin <jester@euphoriacw.ml.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/16/1998 04:05:59

--MS_Mac_OE_2972865961_4049527_MIME_Part

Is this where I ask technical questions that have me stumped?

I'm running an Asante ethernet card on a Quadra 630 w/20Mb RAM, 52Mb swap,
BSD v1.3...
The Asasnte card is found during startup...
    ae0 at nubus 0 slot e : MacCon LC - A, 32KB Memory
All other network numbers and commands involving the ae0 device work fine
during startup.

But, as soon as the ae0 device is called upon to do ANYTHING it times out.
BSD then informs me of this error sporadically until I reboot.
It does this on pings, telnets, ftp, anything.
The configuration in ifconfig.ae0 is
    inet 10.0.10.3 netmask 255.0.0.0

What's wrong here?  Everything else with BSD is working great but this.
I am certain my network hardware is setup right... The Mac-side is doing
fine.
I am pretty sure that the ip addresses in various files are correct too. (I
have gone over them a zillion times and reconfired the files twice as many)

So, what's up?  Is this an indication of incompatibility with my card?
Is there something missing with the ifconfig?

I was directed here by David A. Gatwood, who believes it might be caused by
an interrupt not being serviced enough and/or something in the kernel...
Doesn't sound quite right to me, but then again I would be lying if I said I
actually knew what went on in the kernel.  I plan to pick one apart someday
, but haven't yet found the time.

Anyways, thanx for your time...

-Brian Cantin,
Confused and network-less

--MS_Mac_OE_2972865961_4049527_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Ethernet Device (ae0) Times Out</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
<FONT SIZE=3D"1"><TT>=00Is this where I ask technical questions that have me st=
umped?<BR>
<BR>
I'm running an Asante ethernet card on a Quadra 630 w/20Mb RAM, 52Mb swap,<=

BSD v1.3...<BR>
The Asasnte card is found during startup...<BR>
    ae0 at nubus 0 slot e : MacCon LC - A, 32KB Memory<BR>
All other network numbers and commands involving the ae0 device work fine<B=

during startup.<BR>
<BR>
But, as soon as the ae0 device is called upon to do ANYTHING it times out. =
<BR>
BSD then informs me of this error sporadically until I reboot.<BR>
It does this on pings, telnets, ftp, anything.<BR>
The configuration in ifconfig.ae0 is <BR>
    inet 10.0.10.3 netmask 255.0.0.0<BR>
<BR>
What's wrong here?  Everything else with BSD is working great but this.<BR>
I am certain my network hardware is setup right... The Mac-side is doing<BR=

fine.<BR>
I am pretty sure that the ip addresses in various files are correct too. (I=
<BR>
have gone over them a zillion times and reconfired the files twice as many)=
<BR>
<BR>
So, what's up?  Is this an indication of incompatibility with my card?<BR>
Is there something missing with the ifconfig?<BR>
<BR>
I was directed here by David A. Gatwood, who believes it might be caused by=
 an interrupt not being serviced enough and/or something in the kernel...<BR=

Doesn't sound quite right to me, but then again I would be lying if I said =
I actually knew what went on in the kernel.  I plan to pick one apart someda=
y , but haven't yet found the time.<BR>
<BR>
Anyways, thanx for your time...<BR>
<BR>
-Brian Cantin,<BR>
Confused and network-less<BR>
</TT></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_2972865961_4049527_MIME_Part--