Subject: re--Fixing the lc040 FPE?!
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/15/1998 22:20:58
Lars Hagstrom wrote:

}The option of buying a full 040 seems a bit ridiculous to me, as I could
}get a 486 PC for that price (ok, so its not a mac, but neither is BSD....).
}

It may not be as bad as you think.  I swapped my LC040 for an RC 040 about
a year ago.  I was pretty happy with the deal I got at the time, landing a
40 mHz chip for around $100 (us)--nost of the 'catalog' vendors were
getting from $150-$175.

A month or two later, I was shopping used dealers (for something completely
different) and I happened to see a few of them selling Full 040's for as
little as 50 bucks.

So the lesson here?  You stand to pay much less if you look for a vendor
who deals in 'trades', 'used', 'parts', or 'refurbished systems'.  Don't
forget to ask around to any repair places that you know.  Companies that
buy used Macs, refurbish them, and then sell the computers are apt to
accumulate parts.  (ie--stripping a defective unit of everything that *is*
working for use on other machines they get that are 'fine, execept

Do a little digging, I'll bet you can find one for less than you'd expect.

Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu