Subject: Re: Fixing the lc040 FPE?!
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Justin R. Smith <jsmith@mcs.drexel.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/13/1998 13:27:30
>Lars Hagstrom wrote:
>[Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
>> There are a lot of people (including me) that are talking about the
>>broken fpe. I am wondering if this is a time for a joint effort to do
>>something about it.
>> I would start doing something if I felt that I knew something about how
>>to do it, but I dont. I would certainly assist someone with bugtesting +
>>possibly bits of code (I know a bit of 68k assembler). But what is needed
>>is someone to take hold of the pro
>ject.
>> The option of buying a full 040 seems a bit ridiculous to me, as I could
>>get a 486 PC for that price (ok, so its not a mac, but neither is
>>BSD....).

Yes -- the 68040 is wildly overpriced. I got one for free (the Apple
lawsuit), and I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it. I've noticed no
significant difference in the performance of my applications. The only real
difference I've noticed is that I can run NetBSD....

Time blows wildly against my door       | Justin R. Smith
Stirring discarded sorrows              | Department of Mathematics and
Like dead leaves of summers past        |     Computer Science
Memories of forgotten lore              | Drexel University
Making way for new tomorrows            | Philadelphia, PA 19104
New hopes, new fears,                   |
         and new ways that last         | Office: (215) 895-1847

c Justin R. Smith, March 14, 1994       | Fax:    (215) 895-1582

My home page: http://www.mcs.drexel.edu/~jsmith