Subject: Re: Fixing the lc040 FPE?!
To: Lars Hagstrom <m95lah@student.tdb.uu.se>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/13/1998 09:15:56
On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Lars Hagstrom wrote:

> There are a lot of people (including me) that are talking about the
> broken fpe. I am wondering if this is a time for a joint effort to do
> something about it.  I would start doing something if I felt that I knew
> something about how to do it, but I dont. I would certainly assist
> someone with bugtesting + possibly bits of code (I know a bit of 68k
> assembler). But what is needed is someone to take hold of the project.
> The option of buying a full 040 seems a bit ridiculous to me, as I could
> get a 486 PC for that price (ok, so its not a mac, but neither is
> BSD....).
>
> So the question is, can we start doing something?

I'd say just go for it. I knew very little about the serial ports when I
started messing with them.

Important bits of code to look at would be in:

sys/arch/mac68k/mac68k/, sys/arch/m68k/m68k, and sys/arch/m68k/fpe.

A good first step is to look at the fpe. I think there are a few
instructions which don't work right. Figure out how it is working, and
you'll start to see a pattern. If something doesn't match that pattern,
you might have found the bug.

Also, get documentation from Motorola on the '040 family. :-)

Good luck!

Take care,

Bill