Subject: Re: Adding an additional hard drive to my file system
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: None <cruller@unicom.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/11/1998 12:47:54
Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> >^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!THIS WORKED!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> This is the sort of SCSI problem that I absolutely *hate*!!!
>
> Since I couldn't be sure from your post, you *do* have a terminated drive
> plugged into the very last plug on the cable don't you?  You just moved the
> other internal drive between the two other plugs?
>
> If that's not the case I would feel very nervous about the long-term
> stability of your fix, although the distance between those two plugs is
> pretty short.  My experience is that you can get things to work by breaking
> the rules sometimes, but if you do then the fix may not hold as humidity,
> age, whatever change.  In this case the rule is: both *ends* of the chain
> must be terminated.
>
> I have seen internal plug terminaters at Fry's sometimes.  If you are
> running with the last plug empty I would suggest you get one, put it in the
> last plug, and disable termation on the relevant internal drive.
>
> I know this has been an ongoing thread.  Appologies if I duplicated other
> postings.
>
> Signature failed Preliminary Design Review.
> Feasibility of a new signature is currently being evaluated.
> h.b.hotz@jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz@oxy.edu

Yes Indeedy, I had everything termed properly i.e.: _ONLY_ the Last
drive on the chain inside the box & the terminator of the zip drive
connected externally turned to the on position.  I wonder if all of the
terminating resistors are the same impedence.  They don't have color
bands (the way I learned-[not PC but I remember it to this day]-Bad Boys
Rape Young Girls But Violet doesn't resist) just a criptic code.  I
suspect the zip drive with it's _very_ long cable as the cause of my
problem.  It's a neccesary evil for now until I get PPP up on my
machine. I do all my downloading in the MacOS & then cpin them into
netbsd.  I'll have to put experimenting on the back burner for a couple
weeks. The _dread_ 'tecniques of integration' test rears it's ugly head
soon  & we don't get to use integrating tables..drat!.

Gerald