Subject: Re: Newbie help for X11 (more data)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Justin R. Smith <jsmith@mcs.drexel.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/11/1998 12:02:16
>On Wed, 11 Mar 1998 13:47:52 +0100,
>emacia@solucions.ad writes:
>>
>> 1 FPU.
>> I install SoftwareFPU and run the Norton Sysinfo tests on FPU, It sees the
>> emulator as a 68881 and runs all the tests (very slowly) as a 'software '
>> and as '68881' fpu, no errors.
>
>Good.  This means you don't have the broken LC040 chip in your
>computer.
>
>> 2 run startx many times.
>> No change, i always get the same two lines in less than 2 seconds.
>> >          screen0 at 0x41e5000 640x480 rowB 80 fbase
>> >          X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
>> Now it added a third that says
>> Segmentation fault core dumped.
>
>Now the bad news.  It seems to me you've been hit by the infamous FPE
>bug...  No software fix yet.  Sorry.  I've been told if you try to run
>X many times (like 10 times or so), you'll eventually get lucky and
>it'll run (doh).

I get this problem starting up X windows. It is an intermittant problem
(very strange!) -- sometimes I have to issue the 'xinit' command 3 times
before it comes up.

I have a P475 with a 68040 chip and 20meg of RAM.

The randomness of the problem makes it sound like a race condition to me...

Time blows wildly against my door       | Justin R. Smith
Stirring discarded sorrows              | Department of Mathematics and
Like dead leaves of summers past        |     Computer Science
Memories of forgotten lore              | Drexel University
Making way for new tomorrows            | Philadelphia, PA 19104
New hopes, new fears,                   |
         and new ways that last         | Office: (215) 895-1847

c Justin R. Smith, March 14, 1994       | Fax:    (215) 895-1582

My home page: http://www.mcs.drexel.edu/~jsmith