Subject: Re: Newbie help for X11
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/11/1998 06:41:23
> > > My guess is that the 'LC040 is the problem,
> > > tho, and if you try it a dozen times, it might work at least once.
> >
> > And that is definitely not right... (I mean, "that" being FPE
> > exhibiting such indeterministic behavior)  Is there any fundamental
> > difference between kernel-mode programming model on 030s and 040s that
> > I'm not aware of?
>
> Ah....well, you would certainly know more about this than I, but the above
> behavior is what I've seen described by a number of people on the list
> (i.e. things work about 1 time out of 10).  I wouldn't expect
> non-deterministic behavior, either, but perhaps something is happening
> where a context switch occurs and FP state isn't being properly
> saved/restored?  (I'm really grasping at straws here :-)

	Yes, the seg faults come almost at random. Sometimes my PB540c
won't even boot fully... alot of times it segfaults going into single user
at the prompt for which shell to use, so automatically goes into
multi-user. Random programs will dump core... I remember one time when I
couldn't even see what was in a directory, because 'ls' kept dumping core
;-) Don't you think it strange that a program as seemingly complex as 'dt'
would work fine and never dump core, and yet a program to list or remove
files (rm too ;-)) would dump core 6 times in a row?

	I don't know either why it would show such erratic behavior....

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!