Subject: Re: Newbie help for X11 (more data)
To: None <emacia@solucions.ad>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/11/1998 09:38:37
On Wed, 11 Mar 1998 13:47:52 +0100,
emacia@solucions.ad writes:

> 1 FPU.
> I install SoftwareFPU and run the Norton Sysinfo tests on FPU, It sees the
> emulator as a 68881 and runs all the tests (very slowly) as a 'software '
> and as '68881' fpu, no errors.

Good.  This means you don't have the broken LC040 chip in your
computer.

> 2 run startx many times.
> No change, i always get the same two lines in less than 2 seconds.
> >          screen0 at 0x41e5000 640x480 rowB 80 fbase
> >          X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
> Now it added a third that says
> Segmentation fault core dumped.

Now the bad news.  It seems to me you've been hit by the infamous FPE
bug...  No software fix yet.  Sorry.  I've been told if you try to run
X many times (like 10 times or so), you'll eventually get lucky and
it'll run (doh).

You can always upgrade the CPU to 68040, though.  That will fix any
floating point related problem once and for all.  Highly recommended
(no, I'm not saying this because I don't want to fix FPE.  I do but
it's really difficult without an LC040-based Mac at hand).

> (I'm reading the faqs about this new message, it seems i must change the
> scsi disk)

Hmm, I somehow think you are confusing an unrelated matter with
this...

> 3 I check the logs with dmesg and xdm-errors
> xdm-errors has only one line that says :
>    xdm error (pid 210) : Missing display type for XMac68k

This is because X server dies on you.

Ken