Subject: Re: vm_fault on Quadra 800 after fresh 1.3 install.
To: Mario Magliocco <Mario_Magliocco@broder.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/10/1998 15:00:17
On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Mario Magliocco wrote:

>      I just installed 1.3 fresh on a Quadra 800 with 56 megs of Ram.  I am
>      using the latest booter off of netbsd.org.  It boots fine and it even
>      runs for a few minutes, but it will always die with a vm_fault and
>      dumps me into the debugger.  The error goes:
>
>         vm_fault(4f5500, 3f000, 0, 0) -> 2
>        type 8, code 0x8, code 0x500, v 0x3f000
>      kernel: MMU fault trap
>      pid = 46, pc = 00000000, ps = 0000, sfc = 1, dfc = 1
>      Registers:
>          numbers... . . numbers . .. .
>
>      I have not set up a swap partition yet because the machine always
>      quits before I can set anything up, but I thought that I would be OK
>      with 56 megs of ram.  Well I am pretty confused since I have installed
>      NetBSD on 3 different macs including a Quadra 700 without any
>      problems.  I also tried the SBC kernel.  I would appreciate any input
>      on this matter.

Hmm. I'm stumped. Next time this happens, try typing 't' at the prompt.
That should show you which routines were called, in order. You don't need
to copy all the numbers after the names, but we do need the names.

Oh, SBC won't make a difference. There are three SCSI drivers for two
chips. One chip has two, the ncrscsi and the sbc driver. The other chip,
which is in your computer, only has one scsi driver.

Take care,

Bill