Subject: Re: Newbie help for X11
To: Greg Dunn <gregdunn@indy.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/10/1998 11:28:39
Greg Dunn wrote:
> "Lars Hagstrom said:"
> >
> > I've downloaded the OSFA server, but when i do startx i get a message
> > saying that libc is to old (i think thats what it says :-). It doesnt work
> > either....
>
> I get that message as well, though X still runs.  Be careful that you
> don't have a "base.tgz" installation that is much older or much newer
> than your X distribution.  I tried updating just the shared libraries
> to get rid of that message (yeah, I know, should have thought longer
> before doing it) and X stopped working.  Restoring the previous version
> of the libs fixed my problem.  (For anyone who's tracking this, my working
> base install was from Jan. 1; the Feb. 23 shared libs obviously don't
> get along with some of the binaries from the Jan. 1 distribution).

Oh, definitely.  The Jan 1 libs are probably pretty close to the 1.3
release (that was on the 4th, or 5th, right?).  The Feb 23rd libs are like
1.3C or 1.3D.  A _large_ number of changes have occurred since then.

> If you have the latest X server/distribution, maybe you should update
> your base binaries install?

With the exception of Ken's OSFA X server, the latest distribution with X
binaries should be the 1.3 release.  Ken's server should work just fine
with 1.3 binaries, libs, etc.  If you really want to run -current, you'll
need to upgrade your entire system, kernel first.

I'd recommend sticking with the 1.3 release.  Except for the addition of
the MADHATTER hack for Quadra video, and a fix for the ADB hang on
II-series machines with MRG ADB support, I don't think that there have
been any major functionality enhancements in -current, and I believe that
1.3 supports the majority of machines fairly well.

> Also, a question for the list:   Do the current sources for the kernel
> (that Paul G. uses for his SLOTMAN builds) have the ADB fix in the
> HWDIRECT code?  Paul wasn't sure when I asked him.

Which fix?  There are 3 that John has come up with lately (one for the
Color Classic, one for the II-series hardware, and one to enable the
keyboard in the debugger).  As far as I know, none of these have been
committed to -current yet.  All 3 are available on Puma if you want to
pick them up, tho.

Later.