Subject: Re: Newbie help for X11
To: Lars Hagstrom <m95lah@student.tdb.uu.se>
From: Greg Dunn <gregdunn@indy.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/10/1998 09:30:15
"Lars Hagstrom said:"

> I've downloaded the OSFA server, but when i do startx i get a message
> saying that libc is to old (i think thats what it says :-). It doesnt work
> either....

I get that message as well, though X still runs.  Be careful that you
don't have a "base.tgz" installation that is much older or much newer
than your X distribution.  I tried updating just the shared libraries
to get rid of that message (yeah, I know, should have thought longer
before doing it) and X stopped working.  Restoring the previous version
of the libs fixed my problem.  (For anyone who's tracking this, my working
base install was from Jan. 1; the Feb. 23 shared libs obviously don't
get along with some of the binaries from the Jan. 1 distribution).

If you have the latest X server/distribution, maybe you should update
your base binaries install?

Also, a question for the list:   Do the current sources for the kernel
(that Paul G. uses for his SLOTMAN builds) have the ADB fix in the
HWDIRECT code?  Paul wasn't sure when I asked him.

--
| Greg Dunn                       | I really think it's better this  |
| GregDunn@aol.com                | way; the more you suffer, the    |