Subject: Re: Adding an additional hard drive to my file system
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: None <cruller@unicom.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/10/1998 09:02:49
Colin Wood wrote:

> cruller@unicom.net wrote:
> > Greg Dunn wrote:
> > >
> > > Did you always have root and swap on separate SCSI IDs?  I seem to
> > > remember from the docs that root & swap want to be on the same drive,
> > > even though technically what you're doing should work.
> >
> > No. But moving the swap to its own 40meg drive works quite well for me
> > right now.  I thought that the 1.3 stuff was capable of seperate root,
> > swap drives,  Tho I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
>
> It is.  You can put swap whereever you want (you can even swap to a file).
>

> > > Other than that, I don't see any big problems; I do know that NetBSD
> > > is very fussy about SCSI cable length...
> >
> > The Q800 has an extra scsi plug on the internal cable, 1 for cd, 1for
> > 1/2 height rack & 2 for full height rack.  I've got the usr drive on the
> > last scsi plug.  I'll try the second to last plug, maybe that will help.
> > :-)  Thanks!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!THIS
WORKED!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Make sure that only 1 drive on your internal cable is terminated!
>
> Later.
>
> --
> Colin Wood                                 cwood@ichips.intel.com
> Component Design Engineer - MD6                 Intel Corporation
> I speak only on my own behalf, not for my employer

Thanks all who tried to get me on the right track with adding the extra
drive.  Everything _should_ have worked fine the way I had it set up but
didn't. (term & ids were fine) Greg Dunn's comments about NetBSD being
pickey about cable lengths got me thinking.  I finally had success last
night by moving the drive up the cable to the scsi plug closer to the
next drive on the chain.  It fired right up :-).  I upgraded my vram
last night so now my Q800 is running in color on internal video
;-p.:.

Again, Thanks

Gerald