Subject: Re: Newbie help for X11
To: None <emacia@solucions.ad>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/10/1998 05:01:26
On Tue, 10 Mar 1998 emacia@solucions.ad wrote:

> This week end I have d/l the full 1.3 release.
> I have installed the files on a Performa 630 (no fpu) with 20Ram and 120Mb
> external IBM scsi disk.

	First of all, is your LC040 a buggy one? Have you used it with
Software FPU, or various benchmarks which would test FPU? The Floating
Point Emulation isn't quite complete atm, but it definitely won't work on
a broken FPU.

	In a nutshell, some LC040's have a bug... you might check with
Apple if you do in fact have a buggy LC040, and maybe they will replace
it... or I would recommend upgrading to a full 040... save alot of hassle
;-)

> With the FAQ files i can put it to work and add myself as a user.
> Unfortunately I cant get the X server to work, I have created the
> /etc/ld.so.conf file and add the /usr/X11R6/bin path, but when i do startx
> i get the following
>           screen0 at 0x41e5000 640x480 rowB 80 fbase
>           X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

	Just means the server, for some reason.. probably ran into an FPU
problem routine, died. Sometimes if you try running it a few times it will
come up properly... a pain, I know. I can't get it to come up at all on my
Powerbook 540c.

> i cant trace this problem the faqs. Can anyone give me a clue on what I'm
> doing wrong or missed to do?

	Well, there's not anything that you're doing wrong, most likely.
The problem probably lies within the FPE... and with any luck there will
be a fix for it eventually.

	Someone suggested recompiling a math library, with patches for a
mchine with no FPU... I have the patches somewhere and was going to try
this when I got time. If it works on my machine I will put the library up
on a webpage for people. I'm also reading through some things to educate
myself on the FPU and the SANE stuff... with a little divine intervention
maybe I'll be able to fix something to get it to work ;-) Heh. But, as I'm
currently looking for a job atm, I wouldn't be holding my breath ;-)

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!