Subject: Re: Netatalk is slow, and what was the fix for the ttyflags hang?
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/09/1998 15:55:59
On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

[atalk problems]

> Any suggestions for how to debug this situation?

Do you have access to a copy of EtherPeek? Probably not if you're snubbing
the Net.gods. :-) It'd be a good thing to see what's up. Also, try running
tcpdump. I don't know how to configure it, but it supposedly can do
appletalk.

> More info:
>
> The NetBSD box registers itself as a printer and printing to it from mc0
> results in printout on the ae0-connected HP (and an error message about no
> .ppd file).  I have no config files for the printer daemons anywhere.

You should be able to get .ppd's from Adobe.

> The machine generally hangs in _domaininit during boot, just after "fpu0 at
> mainbus0" as documented in PR kern/5118.  A workaround is to disconnect mc0
> during boot until after this point.  If it is left disconnected then the
> atalkd.conf file gets trashed.  (Seems like -seed information should not be
> changed by atalkd.)

I'll try to look into this, though atalkd is not my friend. :-(

> Separate Issue
>
> What was the fix for the boot hang while setting ttyflags?  This one only
> bites me occasionally, but it's the number 2 reason my machine won't boot
> itself.
>
> as the possibly relevant lines.  I have nothing currently connected to
> either serial port.

I can send you patches to try in private EMail. It's not fully fixed yet.
Basically we end up enabling interrupts which shouldn't be enabled, and
the open inputs end up ringing.

Take care,

Bill