Subject: Netatalk is slow, and what was the fix for the ttyflags hang?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/09/1998 16:17:09
I've decided to be a little in-your-face with the Net.gods.  I've got an HP
printer connected via Ethernet switch cable to ae0, and mc0 connected to
the JPL network.  Netatalk is installed and basically working.

/usr/local/atalkd.conf contains:
mc0 -phase 2 -net 13278 -addr 13278.147 -zone "JPL-301-2-Enet"
ae0 -seed -phase 2 -net 15000 -addr 15000.147 -zone "Hanks Printer"

I can see the printer inside Chooser from my powermac on the same zone as
the NetBSD box, but it takes 3-4 seconds to show up.  Other people on
different subnets/zones don't seem to be able to see it, even though they
can see the zone.

Any suggestions for how to debug this situation?

More info:

The NetBSD box registers itself as a printer and printing to it from mc0
results in printout on the ae0-connected HP (and an error message about no
.ppd file).  I have no config files for the printer daemons anywhere.

The machine generally hangs in _domaininit during boot, just after "fpu0 at
mainbus0" as documented in PR kern/5118.  A workaround is to disconnect mc0
during boot until after this point.  If it is left disconnected then the
atalkd.conf file gets trashed.  (Seems like -seed information should not be
changed by atalkd.)

Separate Issue

What was the fix for the boot hang while setting ttyflags?  This one only
bites me occasionally, but it's the number 2 reason my machine won't boot
itself.

My /etc/ttys file contains:

console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure
ttye0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure

as the possibly relevant lines.  I have nothing currently connected to
either serial port.