Subject: Re: Linux-m68k
To: None <tsu23715@mail.interq.or.jp>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/08/1998 15:38:12
On 9 Mar 98 00:42:22 +0900,
"Naoki Kobayashi" <tsu23715@mail.interq.or.jp> wrote:
>  Soooooo compricated NetBSD-mac68k is,and 'bout OpenBSD-mac68k,

What does this mean?

>  alart says that "this kernel is not executable..."......(though I tried
>  the "newest" one.)

Are you sure?  Isn't it more like one of the followings?:

	Failed to read executable header from kernel image.
	This kernel is not in a format which the Booter can execute.
	The kernel does not appear to be a 68k kernel.
	Short boot_read. Kernel file corrupt?

These usually mean you weren't careful enough to ftp your kernel image
in *binary* *mode*.  I'm sure the Linux kernels require the same care
when downloading (unless, of course, they store files encoded by
binhex or something).

>     On the other hand, Linux-mac68k is rather (or by-far) easy,I feel.

Well, no matter how much easier it may be than *BSD, unfotunately it
doesn't support SCSI on my Quadra 840av yet.  On the other hand, I'm
happily running NetBSD/mac68k on it.

> For the first time my Performa588 reach "log in :" prompt!!! Screen
> is white,but the font is PINK!!!
>    But the linux-m68k's wizard says
[...]
> I don't know how to do any more......
> Though I already made swap partition...   (-_-)
> I can't quit by "exit" ,so I reboot to quit.

noticed, and therefore is not an appropriate place to ask for help on
Linux/mac68k, nor is it appropriate for Linux advocacy.  People here
tend to be much more knowledgeable on NetBSD than on Linux, so your
chance of getting useful inputs is considerably lower than it would be
if you had taken the question to Linux experts, as well.

Please take it to an appropriate place, such as the Usenet newsgroup
comp.os.linux.m68k, japan.comp.linux, or fj.os.linux (is there
fj.os.linux.m68k?).

Thanks,

Ken
(Yes, I can read and write email/netnews in Japanese, so feel free to
write privately to me if you think I can be of help.)