Subject: Re: Networking Problems Still
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/07/1998 12:31:08
On Sat, 7 Mar 1998, Ken Nakata wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Mar 98 22:10:12 -0800,
> #hea <hea@ix.netcom.com> writes:
> > Mar  6 20:15:40 p600 /netbsd:  zstty0: ring overrun
> [...]
> >
> > Nothing else seems to be wrong.  I cannot detect any performance problem,
> > and I don't see any garbage characters.  It doesn't bother me, but I'm
> > curious if it's a hardware problem or if I have something set up wrong?
>
> You can try lowering the serial port speed.  I get the same thing if I
> run the modem port at 57,600bps, but I don't at all at 38,400bps.  I
> can't seem to connect to University's dial-up modem at any faster than
> 28.8kbps, so the lower port speed doesn't bother me when compared to
> the intrusive kernel messages.  This is on a Q840av.

Actually, you should see a performance increase! Each ring overrun (called
a flood in the new driver terminology) and each fifo (or silo) overflow
represents lost data. If you're using ppp or slip, that packet has to be
entirely retransmitted. So loosing one byte can make 1K get re-sent.

Take care,

Bill