Subject: Re: Adding an additional hard drive to my file system
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Dunn <gregdunn@indy.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/07/1998 14:32:41
>Actually, the chain must be terminated at each end, with no terminators
>in the middle
>of the chain AND there must be no stubs greater than 6 inches long.  [ A
>stub is like a
>TEE.  Each drive is a stub, but it is very short  ( less than 6").]

That' right; if I didn't make that clear it's because I was up too late
hacking NetBSD. :-)

>The order of the drives is not usually very important.  Each drive 'sees'
>the total
>length of the chain.  The performance difference due to a drive being
>closer is totally
>negligible.

I didn't mean to imply that there was a performance difference per se; only
that the extra cable length to a 'fast' SCSI device sould cause unnecessary
degradation of the signal 'edges' or possibly phase distortion if the cable
is not of high quality.  If it works at all, it will work at full speed
unless transactions are retried due to corrupted data. :-)

--
| Greg Dunn                       | if i was twice the man i could   |
| gregdunn@indy.net               | be...  i'd still be half of what |