Subject: Re: Networking Problems Still
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/1998 23:40:23
On Sat, 7 Mar 1998, Ken Nakata wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Mar 98 22:10:12 -0800,
> #hea <hea@ix.netcom.com> writes:
> > Mar  6 20:15:40 p600 /netbsd:  zstty0: ring overrun
> [...]
> >
> > Nothing else seems to be wrong.  I cannot detect any performance problem,
> > and I don't see any garbage characters.  It doesn't bother me, but I'm
> > curious if it's a hardware problem or if I have something set up wrong?
>
> You can try lowering the serial port speed.  I get the same thing if I
> run the modem port at 57,600bps, but I don't at all at 38,400bps.  I
> can't seem to connect to University's dial-up modem at any faster than
> 28.8kbps, so the lower port speed doesn't bother me when compared to
> the intrusive kernel messages.  This is on a Q840av.

	I run my modem port at 57600, and I haven't seen a single zstty
overflow since I moved my gateway from my IIcx to my Q630. Whether this is
due to better serial port or SCSI performance I don't know, but I've not
seen a single serial port error in.... well, whenever I first got my Q630
on the ethernet, which must have been about a month ago. And, the machine
is generally up 24/7, with quite alot of heavy use and periods of no use.
Maybe I'm just lucky? ;-)

	I'm using 1.3B from a few months ago with a custom kernel,
basically a 1.3B kernel with Michael Zucca's patch for Valkyrie video
boards, 4 ppp devices, alot of file-system compatibility removed, and
generally things I don't use commented out. Serial performance is actually
alot better.... and MUCH better than the IIcx, especially since one of the
serial ports was fried on it ;-)

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!