Subject: Re: dmaintr: and esp0: ?
To: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/1998 22:31:48
Steve Revilak wrote:
> Recently, I installed NetBSD 1.3 on a Quadra 605 (with FPU), and I'm
> experencing an anamoly that I'm not quite sure how to resolve.  The
> following message lines keep appearing (although numbers are not always the
> same).
>
> Mar  6 13:39:40  /netbsd: dmaintr: discarded 32 b (last transfer was 1008
> b).
> Mar  6 13:39:40  /netbsd: esp0: !TC [intr 10, stat 87, step 4] prevphase 0,
> resid 3f0
>
> When booting in single user mode, it happens only occasionally.  When in
> Multi-User, this message will appear every 30-120 seconds, sometimes
> several at once.  Happens regardless of what I'm doing--running a program,
> doing somethin at the command prompt.
>
> The message lines seem most prone to appearing when a SCSI transaction is
> taking place.  NetBSD is installed on a Syquest EZ135 removable.

My guess would be that you're getting bitten by the fact that NetBSD SCSI
drivers seem to have a long history of _not_ liking removable media.

> Would presuming that there is a misconfiguration in either disktab, the
> disklabel, or fstab be  correct?  For the sake of keeping this to a
> reasonable length, I'll include only fstab and the disklabel.  If more info
> is needed, I can supply that too.  I'm using the Generic 1.3 kernel.

I doubt that any of the above is the problem.

> Fsck also reports that the disk is getting trashed alot.  (Unallocated
> blocks, unknown files).  I've already tried reformatting and re-installing.
> Any help would be deeply appreciated.

The above isn't all that surprising.  Unfortunately, I don't know of any
workarounds at the moment other than to try a non-removable SCSI disk.  If
you get the chance, please file a PR on this problem, noting the exact
error message (you can use the web form on www.netbsd.org if you don't
want to use the send-pr command in NetBSD).

Later.