Subject: Re: Adding an additional hard drive to my file system
To: Greg Dunn" , "NetBSD List <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: #hea <hea@ix.netcom.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/1998 22:42:47
Just a few thoughts I feel I should add here:

>SCSI termination and drive position make a difference under MacOS, but it's
>possible to have a SCSI chain misconfigured and still have a working system
>with tolerably low error rates.

very true, unfortunately.  However, mis-termination can cause
unpredictable
data corruption.

>Under NetBSD and MkLinux, I have found the
>SCSI chain to be rather less forgiving of hardware problems, possibly due
>to the less mature (no criticism intended!) SCSI driver code.
>
>A cheesy ASCII art diagram of the way I understand a SCSI chain should be
>connected on a Mac: (ms = mass storage device)
>
>  *----[]------[]------[]------@------[]----*
>term   ms      ms      ms    ctrlr    ms   term
>         e x t e r n a l       i n t e r n a l
>
>Often the terminator is on the control board of the adjacent drive;
>sometimes it's a device attached to the connector of that drive.  Note that
>the chain should be terminated at the ends furthest from the controller;

Actually, the chain must be terminated at each end, with no terminators
in the middle
of the chain AND there must be no stubs greater than 6 inches long.  [ A
stub is like a
TEE.  Each drive is a stub, but it is very short  ( less than 6").]

Your drawing is quite good.

>if there are no external drives, no external terminator is required.  One, and
>only one terminator should reside on each chain.

The reason for this, is that there is typically a terminator built in to
the motherboard on
one end of the external chain.  So it only needs one on the far end if
cables are attached.
One of the tricky things about termination is determining where the
terminators are.  It USED to be that you could see them on the drive.
Now-a-days, however, they are hard to spot.  What you need to look for is
a small "jumper plug" on the configuration pins which is labelled 'TE' (
which stands for termination enable ).  Typically, when the TE jumper is
ON, the terminator is enabled on that drive, and when the TE jumper is
OFF the termination is disabled.

>In addition, it is considered good practice to place the SCSI devices with
>the highest bandwidth closest to the controller.  Hard drives are faster
>than CD-ROMs, which are faster than some optical drives, e.g.  This keeps
>the cable length short for the fast devices, where it counts.

The order of the drives is not usually very important.  Each drive 'sees'
the total
length of the chain.  The performance difference due to a drive being
closer is totally
negligible.

>Hope this simplifies the SCSI voodoo a little.  By the way, I was having
>problems booting my IIci with 3 external devices connected (including one
>very old Apple/Quantum 80 HD).  Replacing the old drive with one of recent
>vintage eliminated the booting problems.  I suspect it was a little too
>noisy or possibly flaky to communicate reliably with the rest of the SCSI
>devices.

I think what actually happened here is that the newer drive had 'active
termination' whereas the older drive had 'passive termination'.   Active
termination is slightly better since the variation in "Term Power' can be
eliminated and the impedance can be better matched.

Make sure to check that each scsi device has a UNIQUE scsi ID.  If any
two devices on the same scsi bus have the same scsi ID, it is GUARANTEED
that your system will not work AND you may lose some data.  Also, some of
the older systems ( before SCSIManager 4.3 ) required unique scsi id's
even on different scsi chains.