Subject: Re: Adding an additional hard drive to my file system
To: None <cruller@unicom.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/1998 10:24:56
cruller@unicom.net wrote:
> I tried to add another disk drive to my file system last night by
> following the directions below.  I had just the base, etc, &
> wormspace#61 packages installed.  I have a 240meg drive for the file
> system at /dev/sd0a and a 40meg drive for swap at /dev/sd1b and I wanted
> to add a 260meg drive at /dev/sd2g mounted at /usr/X11R6.  The root file
> system & swap drive coexist nicely.

> 1] stick the new drive in. (does it matter which internal drive is
> terminated?)
> 2] newfs -O /dev/sd2g from netbsd.
> 3] add "/dev/sd2g	/usr/X11R6 ffs	rw 1 2"  to /etc/fstab
> 4] reboot
>
> It freezes befor the line 'adding tty flags' in the boot process.  Can
> anyone see any blatent errors?

Did you do a "disklabel sd2" to make sure that you in fact _have_ a "Usr"
type partition at sd2g?  Is the last drive on both ends of your SCSI chain
terminated?  Are all other drives unterminated?  I would have used the
Mkfs utility instead of doing a 'newfs' myself.  It's possible that
'newfs' doesn't interact with our disklabel very well (but I have no
specific knowledge that this is the case).  Would your machine boot with
this drive attached before you ran newfs on the partition?  (I'd kinda
assume so.....)

You did follow the directions below, right?

> > > What would be the easist way to add say a /home partition in NetBSD 1.3
> > > and have it come up on boot?
> >
> > What kind of disk space do you have? ;-)
> >
> > For the "generic" answer:
> >
> > 1) Create a partition of the desired size using your favorite formatting
> > software (or clean off an old partition that you don't need anymore).
> > 2) Use Mkfs to zap the partition into a NetBSD Usr type partition.
> > 3) Use Mkfs to "format" the partition
> > 4) Boot into NetBSD (might as well be multi-user)
> > 5) Archive your current home directory:  (as root)
> >
> >       cd /
> >       tar cvpf /tmp/home.tar /home
> > 6) Figure out where your new partition is:  first, find out which disk
> > device the partition is on (e.g. sd0, sd1) and do 'disklabel sdX' where
> > 'X' is the number of the device in question.  The output should show you
> > at least 1 new partition of type "NetBSD Usr".  Remember which letter the
> > partition is assigned to.
> > 7) Add the partition to /etc/fstab (here's mine, yours probably won't be
> > on 'e'):
> >
> > /dev/sd0e       /home   ffs     rw 1 2
> >
> > 8) Attempt to mount it:
> >
> > mount /home
> > ls /home
> >
> > You should get a relatively empty directory with only "lost+found" in it.
> >
> > 9) Unarchive the old home into the new one:
> >
> > tar xvpf /tmp/home.tar
> >
> > 10) Unmount the directory:
> >
> > umount /home
> >
> > 11) Remove the old directory, make a new one;
> >
> > /bin/rm -rf /home
> > mkdir /home
> >
> > 11) Remount the new dir:
> >
> > mount /home
> >
> > 12) Make sure everything is still there via 'ls'
> >

> > At this point, you should be able to reboot and have the directory mount
> > automatically on multi-user boot.

Later.