Subject: Re: PowerBook 550 doesn't boot
To: INOUE Katsumi <kinoue@jp.oracle.com>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/1998 04:48:07
On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, INOUE Katsumi wrote:

>  > On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, INOUE Katsumi wrote:
>  > > Boot still stops at 'zstty0' line most of the times even if I tick the
>  > > Booter option 'Serial Port->Open before...' on. But sometimes it just boots
>  > > fine.

> I found a workaround. In Mac-OS, if I just let AppleTalk use
> 'ethernet' or 'remote'. It always boots fine.

	Oooooh... so the Appletalk is on and using the serial port. Do you
actually have the Powerbook connected to a Localtalk network? I think that
there is still an option to tell the booter that you are connected to a
localtalk network, so checking that MAY fix that, but I may be wrong. Have
you tried turning Appletalk off entirely?

	Actually, for the longest time I couldn't get my PB540c to dialup
my ISP with PPP, and I had no idea why because nothing was connected to
the serial port, but it said it was in use. But, MacOS was automatically
resetting my Appletalk connection to the serial port when I booted it
without the machine connected to the Ethernet and I never thought to try
to change it back ;-) This is with OT 1.1.2...

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!