Subject: Re: Problem with Sonic and rarp/bootp
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Andrey E. Lerman <lae@uniyar.ac.ru>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/05/1998 21:16:46
On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 04, 1998 at 09:53:21PM +0300, Andrey E. Lerman wrote:
>
> > sn0 at obio0 address 00:a0:40:1f:5c:11
> > #comment             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this looks like hardware address of
> > #this machine... But it is wrong! Real address is 00:05:02:F8:3A:88 and
> > #BOOTP server configured to this address.
>
> Um... Are you absolutely sure this isn't the address? If I were you, I'd
> go through at least one iteration with the assumption that what NetBSD is
> reporting is the correct address, with anything that needs to know about
> the address set appropriately...

I configured bootpd to be more verbose and put more information to system
logs. In first configuration (HW address showed by arp) I saw that bootpd
cannot find 00:a0:40:1f:5c:11 in /etc/bootptab. Okey I rem-ed old config
and inserted address reported by NetBSD. Now server successfully replied
to request. But NetBSD still generates the same error.
I suppose that kernel determines HW address of the machine incorrectly and
sends BOOTP packets with wrong address. Server replied to that address but
network card do not receive these packets because it have different
address.
I think the problem is on NetBSD kernel side and should be fixed. People
who have sonic ethernet board please look at kernel messages and compare
addresses reported by kernel and arp (ping machine and see arp table).