Subject: Re: PowerBook 550 doesn't boot
To: INOUE Katsumi <kinoue@jp.oracle.com>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/05/1998 03:19:38
On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, INOUE Katsumi wrote:

> My environment:
> PowerBook 550C, Japanese Keyboard, No internal modem, 12MB memory
> Mac OS 7.6 English, IBM 750MB SCSI HDD, almost dead internal backup battery.
>
> Kernel: HWDIRECT-SBC#61

	I finished my PB540c install and used the same HWDIRECT-SBC#61
kernel with a 1.3B userland and it worked just fine. Well, I tried an NCR
kernel first and it hung while configuring my swap partition, but the SBC
kernel worked just fine.

	I also compiled a kernel (on my Quadra) for the 540c which runs
even better. ;-)

> Boot still stops at 'zstty0' line most of the times even if I tick the
> Booter option 'Serial Port->Open before...' on. But sometimes it just boots
> fine.

	Do you have anything connected to the serial port? Perhaps it's
trying to figure out if it should map it to tty00 or tty01? I've not
booted with anything on the serial port, just my ethernet transciever.
Which, btw, for the record my ethernet works just fine! Woo! I've kept the
machine on for the past couple nights and it's still alive... Oh, well I
just took a look at netstat -i and there have been 95 collisions... but
it's been used quite a bit, transferring somewhere in the 100's of MB's
over the past 2 days or so... so I guess it's not TOO bad, but could
always be better ;-)

> Yanagisawa-san suggested a possible workaround.  To build a kernel without
> serial port driver.  Is this easily doable?

	Yes, just compile a kernel with the zstty stuff commented in the
config file. I'm not sure how it would work... stabilitywise. But, it
might fix your crashing problem. If you don't plan on using the serial
port then maybe it's an option.

	Also, does the 550 have an FPU? Or is it an LC040? I know that my
machine sometimes dumps core during various parts of the boot, notably
ifconfig (may be the cause of my collisions!), ttyflags, route... can't
think of any others. ;-)

	Good luck!

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!