Subject: Re: PowerBook 550 doesn't boot
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: INOUE Katsumi <kinoue@jp.oracle.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/05/1998 12:08:02
Thanks SamMeEl ,Hamada-san,Bob,Yanagisawa-san for replying.
But I still can't make it work.

My environment:
PowerBook 550C, Japanese Keyboard, No internal modem, 12MB memory
Mac OS 7.6 English, IBM 750MB SCSI HDD, almost dead internal backup battery.

Kernel: HWDIRECT-SBC#61

Boot still stops at 'zstty0' line most of the times even if I tick the
Booter option 'Serial Port->Open before...' on. But sometimes it just boots
fine.

I tried to boot more than 50 times and I'm getting convinced that this
is a Booter problem in that it fails to open serial port. Is it possible to
verify this?  I can step down to debugger when boot stops,

zstty0 at zsc0 at channel 0
Panic switch: PC is 0x117de0.
Stopped at     _Debugger+....
db> trace
..
_lev7intr(?)
_zs_iflush(...)
_zs_loadchannelregs(...)
..

Boot always stops here when it stops.

Yanagisawa-san suggested a possible workaround.  To build a kernel without
serial port driver.  Is this easily doable?

--
Katsumi INOUE