Subject: Re: IDE Support & How to find the base address ?
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/04/1998 11:08:28
SamMaEl wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Colin Wood wrote:
>
> > > Is there any IDE support planned ?
> >
> > No one has tried yet, probably b/c most of the people who have done
> > development don't own machines with and IDE drive.
>
> 	A little off-topic question, but just how many Mac systems come
> with IDE drives?

According to my notes, 5 that will run NetBSD/mac68k:  Q630,
LC630/P630/P631/P635/P636/P637/P638, PB150, PB190, and PB190cs.  (Ok, I
guess that's really 12 machines, but the Performas are pretty damn
similar).  A fairly large number of the newer PowerMacs come with them as
well, but that's not really relevant here.

> > > If not, if one find the "base
> > > address", will it be ? But how could we find this info ?
> >
> > Chances are that it is either in a low memory global or in the driver.
> > You might also look at the developer notes for your particular machine.
>
> 	Where would be a good place to find this info? I'd also be
> interested in taking a crack at it...

The developer notes for each machine are available off of
devworld.apple.com.  I think there should be a link off of
www.macbsd.com's OpenMac docs and perhaps off of www.netbsd.org's Apple
subsection of it's Library.  In addition, you might want to look at the
driver itself in MacsBug and see if it uses any predefined global symbols
(maybe something like ATBase?...just a random guess).

> > > [There, I thought .ATDrvr would be ATA Driver ?]
> >
> > Maybe.
>
> 	Hmmm... I'll take a look myself next time my Q630 is in MacOS.
>
> > what's going on (assuming that you understand m68k assembly, which really
> > isn't all that difficult once you get used to it).  Presumably, the base
>
> 	I've been searching for awhile trying to find some good
> information on m68k assembly, but I haven't been able to find much on it,
> and nothing that has taught me anything useful. Does apple have some info
> anywhere? Or Motorola even?

Well, if you know how to program in any kind of assembly (or even in
BASIC), learning m68k is basically just a case of learning the instruction
set.  Motorola has a full 68k instruction set manual (which lists all the
mnemonics/opcodes/instructions, etc.) in addition to information specific
to each type of 68k processor available online.  I'm pretty sure that
www.macbsd.com's OpenMac pages has a pointer to Moto's reference library
page.  All the references are in PDF format, I think.  I pretty much
learned m68k one night while digging through the .Sound driver on one
machine and looking at the 68k instruction set manual on another.

If you've never programmed in assembly before (or basic, for that matter),
it might take you a little while to get used to it.  The 68k instruction
set manual has a pretty good overview.  What's actually quite helpful is
the MacsBug manual (I looked at it in a bookstore one day).  The manual
has a chapter devoted to disassembling m68k...basically some tips on how
C-like data and control structures are implemented in assembly.  I found
this pretty useful.

I hope this helps.  Good luck!

Later.