Subject: Re: Adding a home partition
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Chris <smirks@mail.eclipse.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/04/1998 12:17:30
Ok, heres what I did.  As you suggested I booted many times trying with
the generic kernel.  Kept on hanging at the same spot.  My cables are
good and it is porperlly terminated.

I then tried the sbc kernel as you reccomended.  It looked like it was
going okay until after it got the the PRAM entry.  Here is what it
displayed:

<snip>
root file system type: ffs
/: bad dir ino 18496 at offset 0: mangled entry
panic: bad dir
stopped at _Debugger+0x6: unlk a6
</snip>

then it dropped into the debugger.  Out of pure fustration I decided to
try the generic non-sbc kernel again.  It did exactly the same thing as
above, like the sbc kernel.

I also went into the mini-shell and did a disklabel.  I got:

sd0a: Other (APPLE_DRIVER43) 'Macintosh' at 64 size 32
sd0b: HFS 'MacOS' at 96 size 249972
Error on SCSIRead(), # 5
sd2a: Root 'A/UX Root' at 128 size 512000
sd2g: Usr 'NetBSD Usr' at 2094256 size 409600
sd2b: Swap 'Swap' at 512128 size 49152
sd2d: Other (APPLE_DRIVER43) 'Macintosh_SL' at 64 size 64
sd2e: HFS 'MacII' at 561280 size 1532976

so, looking at that sd2g should be what I want to be my new home dir.

Any ideas? Suggestions?  Or does it look like I should just scrap
everything and start over?

Chris