Subject: Re: X window manager recommendations?
To: None <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/03/1998 22:34:41
Hi guys,

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998 14:47:09 -0800 (PST),
Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com> writes:
> Adrian Rollett wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Stefan Lindstrvm wrote:
> > > Side note: I haven't gotten ASclock to run yet (it's a clock module for
> > > the Afterstep Wharf toolbar), it complains about "too few color cells"
> > > or something like that. Since I run this on a 16bpp screen (Ken's colour
> > > server), I find that hard to believe. Has anyone seen this and know how
> > > to fix it?
> >
> > 	I too got interested in AfterStep, and compiled it. It runs real
> > nice for me on a IIci w/ 16 megs of RAM, so as long as you have a
> > reasonable amount of memory, you should be fine... I get the same error
> > with asclock, and I compiled it with the 4-bit color option, so I don't
> > know *what* the deal is...
>
> I've seen a similar problem getting xco (kinda like xcolors but better) to
> work here at work under AIX.  I have a feeling that it's because xco was
> developed for X11R5 whereas my server (and libraries) are X11R6 (more or
> less).  Perhaps there was a change from R5 to R6 in the way that getting a
> color map was done?

I'm no X'pert (no, I'm not being modest or anything.  You can port a
server and still be quite oblivious about pretty much everything), but
the error message (or is it more of a warning?) "too few color cells"
makes me suspect that it wants to allocate some colors but is unable
to do so, probably because the current visual doesn't support that
operation.  StaticGray, StaticColor, TrueColor, these visuals are in
the "Static" visual class and none of them supports allocation and
installation of colors in the colormap.  It doesn't matter however few
colors your client wants to allocate.

Stefan's running in 16-bpp mode (TrueColor) so my theory certainly
holds.  As for Colin's AIX and Adrian's cases, I don't have enough
information to prove or disprove it.  The only case where you *can*
tweak the colormaps on NetBSD/mac68k is when you're running Colin's
color server or my OSFA server in 8-bpp PseudoColor visual with video
ROM support (i.e. with SLOTMAN or video_lkm on NuBus video card).

See if the program has some run-time or compile-time options that
cause it to use the closest colors from the default colormap, instead
of dynamically allocating.  However, some programs may necessarily
want to install their private colormap and change it on the fly to
create some sort of visual effects (something like the module Satori
in AfterDark).

Good luck,

Ken