Subject: Re: Current kernel with Madhatter patch ?
To: Vincent BARAT <Vincent.Barat@ansf.alcatel.fr>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/03/1998 15:24:14
> - Second, I thought I could use internal video (fast) with the current kernel
> and the
> color X server, but current kernel doesn't want to recognize grf0 (that wasn't
> the case
> with my old 14' monitor).

Ok, here's your problem. See below:

> - Third, I read that it could work with internal video  if I apply the
> Madhatter
> patch on current kernel to force it to recognize grf0. Unfortunately, I've not
> enough
> space to compile my own kernel. Furthermore, I tried to boot with a Madhatter
> kernel (but it seamed to be old) and it didn't work.

The -current snapshots for at least a few weeks have the Madhatter patch
(actually, its equivalent) in them. The problem you're experiencing is
the "other" problem with large monitors.

There's a little piece of code in grf_iv.c that checks the monitor sense
lines improperly. If you comment out that code your monitor should work OK.

I've put a fix for this along with a patch for the 630 into a send-pr.
Eventually this will make its way into the kernel (I guess I should mail
Scott or something so he knows) it just hasn't gotten there yet.

> Where can I find current kernel with the Madhatter path ?

Somebody that has a GENERIC -current kernel with the 630 patch applied
should work for you. Anybody out there that can help this guy?