Subject: Re: IDE Support & How to find the base address ?
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/03/1998 15:15:04
> > Is there any IDE support planned ?
>
> No one has tried yet, probably b/c most of the people who have done
> development don't own machines with and IDE drive.

I think somebody did try or said they were trying a long time ago but
I haven't heard anything about it in ages.

Actually, it's too bad because a few machines actually use IDE
such as the Q630 and a few PowerBooks.

> > If not, if one find the "base
> > address", will it be ? But how could we find this info ?
>
> Chances are that it is either in a low memory global or in the driver.
> You might also look at the developer notes for your particular machine.

Actually, I think the base address is listed in the Tech Notes for each
machine with IDE.

However, the problem with IDE support isn't so much finding the base
address. The problem from what I've heard is that Apple's implementation
of IDE is kind of wacky and the chips they use aren't your every-day
IDE chips. At least with SCSI we're working with something known...sort of. :)

It couldn't hurt to look, though. It might also help to browse around in
the ROM routine names. Maybe there's a ROM routine name that has the
chip number in it.