Subject: FPE & SoftwareFPU (Re: PowerBook 550 doesn't boot)
To: None <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/03/1998 07:06:41
On Tue, 3 Mar 1998 03:30:06 -0800 (PST),
SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com> writes:
> I know my 540c
> has the LC040, so has the additional FPE problem, though it worked fine
> otherwise.

I know neither our FPE or SoftwareFPU supports the broken LC040, but
what problem are you having otherwise?  Are you still getting seg
faults?  Or is it just the result of math function isn't right?

> But, since most machines capable of running NetBSD DO have
> some sort of FPU, not alot of attention has been paid to it.

You're right, but there's something else.  It's hard to debug FPE on a
machine with FPU.  It's very tedious.  Now that NetBSD (reportedly)
runs on LC040, people could debug FPE directly on their LC040 boxes.

> 	P.S. Any pointers on where to look for help? Would talking to the
> SoftwareFPU guy hurt at all? It may not work quite the way our FPE does,
> but I'm sure he should know a bit about it to be able to give us some
> clues...

What kind of "clues" are you looking for?  BTW, so many people have
suggested asking SoftwareFPU's developer for help on FPE (whether
regarding LC040 or not), it made it into the FAQ.

Ken