Subject: Re: PowerBook 550 doesn't boot
To: INOUE Katsumi <kinoue@jp.oracle.com>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/03/1998 03:30:06
On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, INOUE Katsumi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is anyone using 1.3 on PowerBook 550? I have tried 6 kinds of kernels
> and never successfully booted. I have tried all the Booter options. Also
> I have tried with extensions off.

	Awhile back I was experimenting with my PB540c, and it booted
under... I think it was 1.2G. I just got a disk to play with on it again,
and I'm actually initializing it right now. I'll get back to you ;-)

> >From the boot messages , I can see the hardware are recognized fine
> except MAC address. But boot almost always stops at 'zstty0 at zsc0 channel 0'
> message.

	Have you used the NetBSD_ROM program, or whatever it is called,
on... puma I think it is? It basically explores your system's ROM for
various things that NetBSD needs and will spit the results out to you...
useful for finding things that you will need to locate to be able to use
NetBSD best.

> Actually, yesterday, I could get to the prompt by using HWDIRECT kernel once.
> But the machine froze and it didn't respond anyway. Today, I can't even get
> to the prompt :(. I have no idea why.

	I have an old PowerManager kernel, I think circa 1.2, which
supposedly worked on the 550. I don't remember atm who was working on
Powerbook support, but there has been SOME work done on it. I know my 540c
has the LC040, so has the additional FPE problem, though it worked fine
otherwise. I don't remember what kind of kernel I was using though... I
think some type of SBC kernel.

	I'm going to print out the FPE code and read it over at work...
I have a feeling the problem with it is probably something relatively
simple to fix. But, since most machines capable of running NetBSD DO have
some sort of FPU, not alot of attention has been paid to it. The same with
IDE support ;-) *sigh* I guess it's time to actually do some work myself
after a year or so of leeching ;-)

	Ryan

	P.S. Any pointers on where to look for help? Would talking to the
SoftwareFPU guy hurt at all? It may not work quite the way our FPE does,
but I'm sure he should know a bit about it to be able to give us some
clues...

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!