Subject: Re: Disk Problems
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Josh Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/03/1998 00:25:29
Really? Ack! I moved /var/mail/otaku to /var/mail/otaku.broken, and pine
works fine (i got this message). It'd be nice to salvage what is in
otaku.broken, though...is there anyway to do this? Or is it gone?

And how to prevent this from happening again?

Many thanks,

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> Josh Hope wrote:
> > sd1(sbc0:1:0): medium error, info = 154247 (decimal), data = 00 00 00 00
> > 11 00 00 00 00 00 0a fd 00 07
> > sd1(sbc0:1:0): medium error, info = 154300 (decimal), data = 00 00 00 00
> > 11 00 00 00 00 00 0a fe 00 00
> >
> > I don't know what's causing that. It just happened spontaneously as pine
> > tried to write to my mailbox. It can't access the mailbox at all. It's
> > acting really weird, and I'm going to restart and run fsck to try and fix
> > this.
> >
> > Anyone know what could cause this, and is there a way to salvage my
> > mailbox? (there was some important stuff in it)
>
> Well, although it's hard to say with the sometimes flaky ncr drivers, the
> above error pretty much indicates an actual physical defect in the
> disk....
>

> Later.
>
> --
> Colin Wood                                 cwood@ichips.intel.com
> Component Design Engineer - MD6                 Intel Corporation
> I speak only on my own behalf, not for my employer.

Josh Hope                                          root@unixgeek.ml.org
UNIX System Administrator                        http://unixgeek.ml.org
"If you want, then start to laugh. If you must, then start to cry. Be
yourself, don't hide, just believe in destiny. Don't care what people
say, just follow your own way. Don't give up and use the chance to
return to innocence." -- Enigma, "Return to Innocence"