Subject: Re: ppp server problems FIXED (info)
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/02/1998 11:07:25
On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, SamMaEl wrote:

Cool!

> 	Also, when I tried having the ppp server on the modem port, the
> client would connect and complain that the connection was not reliable and
> close connection. Is there a big difference in the 2 serial ports on a
> Q630?

Not as far as I know. The only known difference is that the modem port
will support an external clock on two of the DCD/CTS pins, and the printer
will only support an external clock on one (though a clock on the other
will screw things hideously).

> 	And as for dialup shell, I finally got it SOMEWHAT working. I used
> dtrcts on tty01 and got a login prompt, but when I logged out, it didn't
> drop the link, but gave me a new login prompt. Also, the terminal was

Right. Since you're using dtrcts flow control, the computer can't hang up
the modem using DTR. The stock getty assumes the modem gets hung up on
exit, which it doesn't. mgetty might help here.

> HORRID... it seemed like maybe there was line noise or something, because
> alot of times it would lose lines, or add lines of random text... another
> symptom of a problem with the printer port? I tried running it on the

Try not setting dtrcts and see if things are different. It could be that
the modem's not doing handshaking when it really ought to. If the modem
hangs up when you log out, you know it's not doing the dtr side of the
flow control, so you need to either find a modem manual (mine's still
hiding; though my car finally does start again after much effort Saturday
:-) or use rtscts (which leaves DTR out of it).

loosing random text sounds like the modem's not dropping CTS when it
should. Adding random text is weird; are teh modem cables ok? Maybe a
dying wire is getting intermittent and noisy?

> modem port, but when I fired up getty it kept interpretting the login
> banner as a login attempt. Is this a problem with dtrcts on the modem
> port? It seems like maybe there is some port setting that isn't quite
> right...

Right. You're setting 'local' again. Without local, with a good cable and
ok modem config, the login banner won't go out until the modem's answered
the phone. Remember, lots of modems echo stuff when they're off line.
That's what you're seeing. That's why 'local' can be turned off. :-)

Take care,

Bill