Subject: Re: X window manager recommendations?
To: Stefan Lindström <stefan.lindstrom@sylog.se>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/02/1998 09:20:25
Stefan Lindstr=F6m wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> Does anyone have a recommendation for a nice window manager? I'd like
> something like olvwm, with a small "virtual desktop" window where you
> get an overview of the whole desktop, including which windows are open
> where (this is the important part). The ctwm model with buttons to press
> to switch between workspaces isn't very nice since you can't see what
> each workspace contains without switching.

On the contrary.  If you choose "toggle workspace map" from one of the
ctwm windows, it will show you what windows are where instead of the
buttons.  I'm sure there is probably a way to get it to come up like that
by default, but I haven't read the man page in a while.

> I really need something to compensate for 640x480 on a 14" screen...

I use it on mine and it works just fine.

> /Stefan
>=20
> PS. So far I've tried twm (yuck!), ctwm (best so far) and fvwm2 (can't
> get used to that way of switching workspaces).

fvwm can be configured to use both workspaces and a virtual desktop.
Since ctwm can only do workspaces, I suppose fvwm has the advantage here.

Later.

--=20