Subject: ppp server problems FIXED (info)
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/01/1998 22:47:58
	OK, couple of things. One thing I forgot was that I'm NOT running
a tcp or udp echo on the server, so of course a udp/tcp echo test will
fail ;-) I forgot about that completely. But, still it wasn't working
before because I couldn't telnet to the server.

	BUT, it occured to me that I should try ifconfig'ing ppp0. I used:

ifconfig ppp0 inet 192.168.2.1 192.168.2.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast
192.168.2.255

	Also, I added an /etc/ifaliases with:

192.168.2.1 sn0

	And it WORKED! Woo hoo! It also worked with proxyarp, because of
the sn0 alias on the 192.168.2 network, so it thought that there was a
device on that interface.

	So, I added the ifconfig into the script to startup the ppp server
on tty00. Now I'm going to work on getting the ipnat stuff out of ip-up,
and checking to see if IP-NAt was actually part of the problem.

	Also, when I tried having the ppp server on the modem port, the
client would connect and complain that the connection was not reliable and
close connection. Is there a big difference in the 2 serial ports on a
Q630?

	And as for dialup shell, I finally got it SOMEWHAT working. I used
dtrcts on tty01 and got a login prompt, but when I logged out, it didn't
drop the link, but gave me a new login prompt. Also, the terminal was
HORRID... it seemed like maybe there was line noise or something, because
alot of times it would lose lines, or add lines of random text... another
symptom of a problem with the printer port? I tried running it on the
modem port, but when I fired up getty it kept interpretting the login
banner as a login attempt. Is this a problem with dtrcts on the modem
port? It seems like maybe there is some port setting that isn't quite
right...

	Thanks! Hope to get everything FULLY working soon...

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!