Subject: Re: Is the IIci _really_ this slow?
To: None <windsor@warthog.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/01/1998 15:28:54
Rob Windsor wrote:
> I came from a world of PeeSeas and Sparcs, and happened across some Mac
> IIci's that were on their way to the trashcan.  I set one up to be my
> dialup box (IPNAT and pppd) since I heard that their serial ports can
> actually do 33.6k (or better on a good day), which the Sun serial ports
> cannot do.

They make pretty good gateway machines...

> I decided to compile a custom kernel, and to my surprise, this thing takes
> well over an hour to put one together, possibly over two hours.  I didn't
> note the time at which this compile started (which is still going, btw),
> and I'm not about to stop it just so that I can time(1) it.

Yeah, it takes me about 2.5 hours if nothing else is going on.

> Is this normal for a IIci?  My Sparc IPX `only' takes ~45 mins to compile
> a kernel of equiv size as this, and I thought _that_ was tf-slow.

Sounds about right.  Remember this a 25MHz 68030 processor.  Not exactly
the fastest thing on the planet (but it's not Vax, either ;-)  The
'040-based Macs are noticeably faster, but compared to Pentium Pro or
Pentium II, they crawl.

Later.