Subject: Re: Problem with Ken's server
To: Nico van Eikema Hommes <hommes@ccc.uni-erlangen.de>
From: CTAPYXA <ctapyxa@UCSD.Edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/01/1998 14:27:20
>      Hi Yuri,
>
>>That's what I get trying to start OSFA server:
>>--in 16-bit color:
>>/usr/libexec/ld.so: warning: libc.so.12.20: minor version >= 25 expected,
>>using it anyway
>>/dev/grf0: Couldn't get video mode information via ROM driver.
>>	This is not a fatal error.
>>	I gather there is no ROM driver support for this screen...
>>	I will treat this screen as StaticGray or TrueColor.
>>Screen 0 at 0x423c000, 640 by 480, 16 bpp, rowB 2048, fbbase 0.
>>X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
>  [... snip ...]
>>My system:
>>Q650, internal video (1 Meg), 1.3 ALPHA (BTW, can I upgrade from ALPHA to
>>the latest release?), HWDIRECT#394 kernel (based on 1.3), booter 1.9.4
>>(reports 1.8)
>>Any ideas?
>
>Upgrading to the latest releases, NetBSD 1.3 (including the stock kernel),
>and booter 1.11.1 (IIRC), should solve the above problem. I'm using Ken's
>color X server here on the same type of machine that you have and it works
>great. With mlvwm, it even looks like a Mac :-)
>I also get the ld.so warning and the "non fatal error", but it is harmless.

But do you get the "/dev/grf0: Couldn't get video mode information via ROM
driver" error?

I tried it all, short of wiping my system off the hard disk and replacing
it with the 1.3 (I have 1.3ALPHA), nothing works. Right now I updated my
booter to 1.11.1, kernel is stock 1.3 (not 1.3ALPHA), OSFA color server
still get "X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)"

What gives?