Subject: Re: Fastest NetBSD 68k computer?
To: None <shascal@siue.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/27/1998 09:15:43
Steven Hascall wrote:
> Sonnet makes a product called QuadDoubler, which is a 100/50MHz
> accelerator for certain Quadra models (notably the Q700 and C650.) The
> price of a Q700 plus the price of the processor is less than the price of
> the Q840av that was being thrown around here earlier. Does this product
> work with an unmodified NetBSD kernel? Shouldn't this be faster than the
> Q840av? I thought for sure someone would have mentioned this by
> now...isn't anybody using one?

I don't know if anyone is using one (look at the Info Sheet to see if
anyone has reported it), but whether or not it's really faster would
depend on a number of other factors such as how well the faster processor
interacts with the rest of the system and how fast the other subsystems
are.  A really fast processor is pretty useless if it's data-starved, and
I don't know if the Q700 has the bandwidth to fully supply a 50MHz
processor.  I'd just hope there was a big enough external cache involved
:-)

> The mention of 68060 powered Amigas sent me back through my pre-powerpc
> mac-upgrade literature, and several vendors promised 68060 upgrades for
> Quadra macs. Did any of these ever materialize as actual products?

I seem to remember Daystar offering one at some point, but that was a
_long_ time ago.

Later.