Subject: Re: Fastest NetBSD 68k computer?
To: Steven Hascall <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Roy Wood <roy@centricsystems.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/27/1998 12:11:48
>Sonnet makes a product called QuadDoubler, which is a 100/50MHz
>accelerator for certain Quadra models (notably the Q700 and C650.) The
>price of a Q700 plus the price of the processor is less than the price of
>the Q840av that was being thrown around here earlier. Does this product
>work with an unmodified NetBSD kernel? Shouldn't this be faster than the
>Q840av? I thought for sure someone would have mentioned this by
>now...isn't anybody using one?

I was using one in a C610 for a while, and it worked perfectly.  The
performance of the 40Mhz Centris 610 was about the same as the
overclocked 40MHz Centris/Quadra 650 that I'm using now.  I figured that
the Sonnet card would be a slower than a "real" 40MHz machine, since it
is a clock-doubling card, but the difference was minimal.  If anyone
cares, I can dig out the Speedometer results.....

-Roy