Subject: Re: Working with virtual conosoles
To: Stefano D'Andrea <s.dandrea@ermes.it>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/26/1998 16:48:09
Stefano D'Andrea wrote:
> Hello ,
> Has someone sets virtual consoles ?  I think all , but I don't Know how 8(
> I probe to change ttys but nothing appers.
> I had a ttys like this
>
> console  "/user/libexec/getty Pc "  vt100  on secure
> ttye0      "/user/libexec/getty std.9600  vt100 on insecure
>
> on startup it's no possible login as root on ttye0

The above is a big no-no.  Don't do that.  Both /dev/console and
/dev/ttye0 correspond to the internal console device.  /dev/console should
always be left _off_.  If you want virtual console support, you will need
to grab a copy of 'dt' which should be available on ftp.macbsd.com.  It
will probably do what you want (and then some).  The mac68k port does not
have a built-in virtual console like the i386 (and bebox) ports do.

> if I change ttye0 with ttyh0 it said : No found /dev/ttyh0
> I'also MAKEDEV but He doesn't built it

There is no /dev/ttyh0, that's why.

> the same think appears if I use tty02

Using /dev/tty02 would imply that you have more than 2 serial ports.
/dev/tty00 and /dev/tty01 are the modem and printer ports, respectively.

> What can I do ?

Please try using 'dt' and let us know how it goes.  BTW, you can't use
'dt' and X at the same time since they both need to use the grf device
which controls the display.  Hopefully, this can be fixed at some point in
the future....

Later.