Subject: Re: Ken's color server and more
To: CTAPYXA <ctapyxa@UCSD.Edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/26/1998 13:09:17
CTAPYXA wrote:
> I tried to run Ken's server on my Q650/internal video and failed. The
> schpiel goes: I use Das Boot, in the prefs I notified it that I don't want
> to switch into 1-bit mode.

You might consider a newer Booter.  I think that Das Boot was based on a
fairly old version, but I could be wrong (is there a newer version of it?)

> My video is set for 16-bit color. So that
> supposed to be the value passed on to the kernel and eventually color
> server. BTW, is everybody running 1-bit gets reverse video (I mean white
> background and black foreground)? That's what I get, anyway. When I boot in
> non-1-bit mode I have black background and white text. Is this normal?

Yes, it is.  In 8-bit and below, I think that white maps to 0 and black to
something else, whereas at higher pixel depths, black maps to zero and
white elsewhere (chances are I have this backwards, but it's somewhat
close to how it works).

> And
> then, startx reports Connection broken or explicit server shutdown.

If you're using /bin/csh (or tcsh), do:

startx >& startx.log

to capture the output and see why you're running into trouble.

> dt is
> invisible, also. Can I do anything about it?

'dt' _only_ runs in _1-bit_ mode at the moment.  I'm pretty sure it can't
handle anything above that (although there is no reason why it couldn't be
modified to do so).

> I also have a TFB video card,
> which caused me much grief. It's out of the computer now. Is it worth the
> while to put it back in it, i.e. is this card  _theoretically_ supported?

I think that the TFB was probably the _first_ card to be supported by
MacBSD (since that's probably what the Alice team was using when they
first worked on it with their Mac II's), although there could be others
older than that.  What kind of trouble are you having with it, exactly?

Later.