Subject: ppp server problems continue...
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/26/1998 05:41:56
	OK, tonight I gave it another go with dialup shell and PPP, and
got a LITTLE more progress.

	First off, I noticed in my authlog that there had been a failed
login on tty00, so I tried moving the modem over to the modem port and
getty started executing login. BUT... my remote terminal was sending a
bunch of garbage to the NetBSD over the link somehow... because when I
connected, getty executed login and I saw (with a ps -x) that dtdtdtdtdtd
(or something similar... a bunch of d's and t's) was trying to login ;-)
Any ideas on what might cause this? I tried using mdmbuf in the /etc/ttys
line, but that didn't help any. I also tried turning off error correction
and compression on the modem that was dialing up, but that didn't fix
anything either. I accidentally used 'cu' on the modem port while getty
was running, and I got a login prompt ;-) So, I KNOW that getty is doing
it job properly.

	I have the modem port set to 57600 in the booter, and dmesg says
it is running at 57600 at bootup. I tried using std.38400, but that didn't
change anything. Should it make a difference if I run the port at a higher
speed than the modems are running at? I wouldn't think so... although,
when I run a serial line to another Mac I won't get a login prompt unless
I have both set at the same speed, and otherwise I get some of the same
garbage I am getting now... suggestions, ideas?

	Also, I am using at&f1 to reset the modem, then doing ats0=1 to
make it answer on the 1st ring. Are there any other settings I should use?
I've lost my modem manuals, so I haven't been able to look up what some of
the more obscure modem inits are...

	As for PPP, I was able to get connections again. I got connection,
authentication and login. Still, I wasn't able to communicate between the
ppp client and any of the rest of the network, including the ppp server.
The ppp server was adding the route between it and the client. Here is the
new options I used:

cdtrcts
#netmask 255.255.255.0
domain woo.org
#defaultroute
passive
modem
silent
proxyarp
login
persist
debug

	At Bill's suggestion I commented out defaultroute and netmask, but
that didn't help any unfortunately.

	Nothing out of the ordinary appeared in the logs, except that
since I am giving the remote client an IP of 192.168.2.1, and the ethernet
is on the 192.168.1.* network, and there is no net interface on
192.168.2.*, it couldn't find a device for the 'proxyarp' option. I tried
giving the client the address 192.168.1.5, and proxyarp was able to use my
ethernet address, but it didn't help the client communicate with the rest
of the LAN.

	So, right now the client can ping all 3 other hosts on the
network. The client can lookup names, so it is talking to the domain name
server, which is also the ppp server. But, TCP and UDP tests (via MacTCP
Watcher) fail, and I cannot telnet to the ppp server, or my IIcx.

	It still sounds to me like the client isn't getting told its
defaultroute. And, as it is impossible to manually configure that with
FreePPP/PPP/MacPPP.... the client NEEDS to get the routing information. I
remember that MacTCP always had the gateway field... I don't remember if
it would let you change it if you were getting your IP from the server...

	Any ideas on either topic? I am totally stumped. If PPP works
(except for the routing), I don't see why a dialup shell shouldn't be
working too, and I've gone over the pppd man page 20 times so far, looking
or options which will set the router... and there IS one if you're using
IPX, but not one for regular IP 8-(

	*sigh* This is turning out to be a bit harder than I had expected.
Might it be a modem init/hardware problem?

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!