Subject: Mystery crash
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steve Quint <Squint@flash.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/24/1998 22:50:56
Hi all:

I've been running 1.3 on my Q700 with great results.  This machine is my
internal network's gateway over PPP.  Until a few weeks ago, I was starting
ipnat with a script that wrote a new NAT rules file, then start ipnat,
everytime a PPP link is started (due to a dynamic IP).

Then I changed the setup to one that's described in the FAQ, where I map
the entire network to 0/32, then using the command `ipf -y` to re-sync the
kernal.  The problem is that I started getting crashes with the following
message:

-----------------
Feb 21 00:18:22 homer /netbsd: Data modified on freelist: word 0 of object
0x6ca9200 size 128 previous type temp (0xdeadbeeb != 0xdeadbeef)
Feb 21 00:18:23 homer /netbsd: Data modified on freelist: word 0 of object
0x6ca0280 size 128 previous type temp (0xdeadbeeb != 0xdeadbeef)
Feb 21 00:18:23 homer /netbsd: Data modified on freelist: word 0 of object
0x6c9c300 size 128 previous type temp (0xdeadbeeb != 0xdeadbeef)
-----------------

These crashes always immediately follow a `ppp-up` and an `ipf -y`, but not
in a consistant manner.  Maybe once every 7 times or so.  What exactly does
this message mean?  And where is it coming from?

This machine runs headless and without a keyboard, so I was unable to see
if it drops into the debugger or not, not to mention a trace.

Steve

"Always ... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is
better. And twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad. And too
much is never enough except when it's just about right."
			-- The Tick