Subject: Re: Fastest NetBSD 68k computer?
To: Olof Rymark <olof@subzero.campus.luth.se>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/24/1998 13:28:55
Olof Rymark wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm currently running NetBSD on my IIci and like it alot. But, if I would
> buy a new (used) 68k computer to run NetBSD, which is the fastest that's
> 'fully' supported today? I don't need to run X, if that's a problem.

It kinda depends on what you mean by "fully", but the Quadra 840AV was the
fastest 68k Macintosh made (a 40MHz '040) and it can use DMA (although we
only support DMA for ethernet at the moment...SCSI is in progress I
think).

So, that would probably be the way to go if you want to pay that much for
one (they're still relatively expensive...around $600 US from
refurbishers, I think).  If I do get another Mac, it will be one of those.
However, it's a little more likely that I'll get a PC first.

Later.