Subject: Re: Processor Direct Slot / Ethernet
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@BGNet.bgsu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/23/1998 20:51:03
On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> I'd be vaguely suspicious of a card that could work in both a 68k Mac and
> a PowerMac, but I don't have any solid technical details why it wouldn't.
> The 6200 might use the CommSlot II cards, tho (or is is LC II slot, I
> can't remember).  I do know that the 6400-series Performas use the newer
> `II' version of the slot, tho.

The CS is occupied by a modem; we had an ethernet card in the PDS
previously but it was a loaner from the University.

The Product Fact Sheet for the P550 describes it as haivng "1 LC PDS"
expansion slot; the description for the 6200 is more verbose:

"LC processor-direct expansion slot, compatible with most Macintosh
Performa 400 and 500 series; Performa 630; Macintosh Quadra 605; and
Macintosh LC II, LC III, LC 475, LC 550, LC 575, and LC 630
processor-direct cards"

So I guess I just answered my own question, viz.:

	6200 is compatible with [most] LC et al
	6200 is compatible with [most] 500 series
	Therefore, the LC and the 500 series PDS are compatible.
	Therefore, the same LC series PDS card should work in either/both.

Right?

Looks good on paper anyway.

Thanks,

Jeff